GP trainees need to undertake training in both scheduled and unscheduled care.
Newly-qualified GPs are expected to demonstrate competence in delivering out of hours care. Mastercall Healthcare are commissioned to provide out of hours experience during your training.
The GP curriculum’s six generic competences related to ‘care of acutely ill people’ are:
- ability to manage common medical, surgical and psychiatric emergencies in the out of hours setting
- understanding the organisational aspects of NHS out of hours care
- ability to make appropriate referrals to hospitals and other professionals in the out of hours setting
- demonstration of communication skills required for out of hours care
- personal time and stress management
- maintenance of personal security, and awareness and management of security risks to others
Sessions are allocated at Mastercall in both ST2 and ST3 training years to help trainees achieve the above competencies.